Follow this strategy to set SMART goals:
1. SMART goals are specific. This means that your goal should be numbers based, or have a specific goal in mind. A smart goal may be "Go from journaling 1 time per week to 2 times per week," or "increase my reading time from 15 to 30 mins per day." Both are specific goals without any vague phrasing left open to interpretation.
· The more specific your goals are, the clearer it will be when you finally achieve them.
· Break your large goals into smaller short-term and medium-term goals, with each smaller goal phrased just as specifically in order for them to be attainable and achievable.
2. SMART goals are measurable. This is another reason why smart goals are numbers based. To know whether or not you achieved a goal, you must be able to measure your progress. SMART goals are goals that you can track and measure that have a clear end or point of attainment.
· Being able to measure your progress is really important in goal setting and goal achievement. It helps you determine whether or not you're moving in the right direction, since you can clearly track and measure both positive and negative progress along the way.
3. SMART goals are attainable. Smart goals are goals that you can actually attain. They're not extremely farfetched goals like "Running a record breaking marathon in 1 week" because if there's no way to achieve the goal, why set it? SMART goals are goals that you're physically and mentally capable of achieving.
4. SMART goals are realistic. SMART goals are not only attainable, but they are realistically attainable. They are a combination between a specific achievement that you can reach and a time frame that realistically coordinates with that achievement.
5. SMART goals are timely. Smart goals have time frames, and realistic ones at that. When you put a realistic time frame on your goal, it gives you something to work for. To simply "Start journaling," without a time frame lacks motivation. "Journal 5 times by February 1st" has a realistic time frame that gives you something to work for and a date for completion.
Setting SMART goals is the best way to guarantee success at setting and achieving goals for what you want in life. By setting goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely, you can and will achieve the success you deserve!
I have a fabulous worksheet you can use for your SMART goals. Send me a message and I will get you a copy!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Copyright © 2019 LF Counseling, LLC
All the content on this website is for general informational purposes, and does not constitute medical, legal, financial or other professional advice and is not intended as mental health diagnosis or treatment. Additionally, use of this website or blog does not create a therapist-client relationship with Liz Fuhro, LPC